Welcome

Welcome to my world!

Sunday, 30 January 2011

Almost free from pain, and a (close to) functioning boyfriend to boot.

I did manage to get an emergency appointment with my regular dentist for the same day as Sheldon rang them, I went in and saw the dentist he had a poke around, took an x-ray and told me that the exposed nerves in the damaged tooth had become infected, which would explain the agony I had been in previously, mouth ulcer my arse Mrs Emergency Dentist! He sent me off with some high strength antibiotics and instructed me to return in a week when he would determine the fate of my slowly diminishing tooth. We went to the pharmacy where I filled the prescription for the antibiotics and Sheldon bought me some Paramol to help with the pain. I then embarked on a week whoich consisted of bed rest and mushy foods while in a semi-lucid state as a result of the opioid painkillers.

I went back to the dentist the folowing week now free from the pain which had blighted my sleep just 7 days before and had a general check-up. After a lot more poking and two more x-rays the conclusion was that the damaged tooth needed to be extracted and that I needed two small fillings in teeth on the opposite side of my mouth, but on the plus side my other teeth and my gums are in good shape (not bad for ~10 years of what is tantamount to dental neglect.) Sheldon also had a check-up on that day and after his ~5 years of a similar attitude towards dentists and teeht in general he was told that he needed to have a tooth extracted from his lowee right jaw and a filling on a tooth in his upper left. We booked the next possible back to back appointments with our dentist, the following friday afternoon, to have the necessary work done and left in high spirits with a sense of relief and triumph after beating our friend who had just a short while previously been told he needed 7 fillings and a possible crown (which was later deemed unnecessary).

The day after our dental check-ups I went with Sheldon to his psychiatric appointment, he had been feeling down, devoid of energy and incredibly vulnerable and had been getting increasingly clingy over the previous weeks and a change in his medication regime was discussed with the psych. Rather than the change that we had hoped for the psych kept him on his current medication and also added Quetiapine to the mix. There is however some hope for the future as the psych said that he would like to wean Sheldon of his current cocktail onto a monotherapy, up until recently this would most likely have meant lithium treatment, and infact the psych did mention Lithium which freaked Sheldon out. Lithium has had a very bad press particularly in the way it is represented on television and Sheldon's first thought was of the Nirvana song Lithium, which doesnt exactly fill anyone with a great level of confidence in the drug, as Kurt Cobain was on the drug when he wrote the song.



Kurt Cobain however, is not someone you want to look to for sensible advice or a fair portrayal or any form of drug, as well as being on Lithium he was a well known heroin adict and (for those of you unfamiliar with the work of Nirvana), wrote some of the most nonsensical lyrics know to man kind.

Anyway back to Sheldon, he is not keen on the idea of Lithium therapy, and idea which I wholy support, especially having recently found out that it was amongst the cocktail of drugs which were forced upon my aunt wheh she was sectioned as a result of severe post partem depression following a late stage miscarriage. The good  news is that Lithium is no longer Sheldon's only option as Quetiapine has recently been approved as a long term treatment for bi-polar disorder. Since he has started on the Quetiapine, Sheldon has been a new man, so much has changed in just over a week that I barely recognise him as the same depressed, clingy guy he was before, which is a very positive indicator in favour of its use as a long term treatment for Sheldon's disorder.

On Wednesday of this week I took Sheldon to his GP to get the Quetiapine added to his prescrition script and also to discuss the posibility of a referal to Nottingham GIC in order to continue his gender reassignment treatment  long story short "computer says no", basically due to cuts the treatment is at a very low priority and there is no chance of getting anything done until April and even then it will only happen if we can prove that Sheldon's is an exceptional case, which means we got some work to be doing over the next few months. On the upsode however it means that I finally managed to convince Sheldon to book a place on the local areas Life in Trans conference next month ( something which I've only been bugging him to do since before christmas) so things are heading in the right direction.

On Friday Sheldon and I headed back to the dentist and I was terrified about what was going to happen, luckily the dentist was really good. He suggested that I should go before Sheldon rather than watching him gettin work done, which would likely make me more nervous. I got into the chair plugged in my headphones and started listening to Eddie Izzard, this was a suggestion that I found on a dental phobics website to help distract form whats going on and mask the dentist noises. The dentist gave me the necessary lidocaine injections to numb the area around the tooth that he was to remove which was ok, the only time I experienced any pain was when he gave me an injection in my lower pallet which I think caught my salivary gland. I was shaking like a leaf though, even with Sheldon there to hold my hand. In the end the dentist decided that he wasn't willing to extract the tooth there under local anaesthetic, as he didn't want me to have a bad experience which would put me off returning for check-ups in the future. Instead he drilled out the pulp and the majority of the nerves from within the tooth and gave me a temporary filling with zinc oxide which will slowly kill off the remaining nerve within the tooth, he will check the tooth when I go back for a check-up and decide whether it still needs to come out or if a permanent filling would be sufficient, if the tooth does need to be removed then he said that he will refer me to the hosital to have it removed under general anaesthetic  He looked at the teeth on the other side and put a small temporary filling in one and said that as they were only small holes he would prescribe me some high fluoride toothpast and leave it until my next check-up to do the work that was needed there. He made me leave the room while Sheldon had the work done that he needed doing. We both headed home, via Mcdonalds to get some nice cold milkshakes and the supermarket to buy some ice cream.

We're both slightly swollen and in a bit of pain but that will all fade in a few days and we'll back to functionality, or as close an approximation of functionallity as we've ever managed.

After all this hassle we were both looking forward to a quiet weekend at home, watching some tv, catching up on some lost sleep, and just generally spending some quality time together. That however was not to be the case as both saturday and now sunday evening have been spent dealing with the problems of our families who are 50 and 200 miles away respectively.

On saturday Sheldon's mother rang and while they were talking things got on to the subject of Sheldon's sister and the fact that she wants to loose some weight. She in no way needs to loose any weight so we were all perplexed as to why she had decided that she needed to. While Sheldon was talking to his mother about ways that she could help his sister to loose weight ( his mother likes her comfort food so often buys them in and his sister has no will power so if theres junk food in the house she will eat it) I spoke to his sister and found out why it was she wanted to loose weight, she will be leaving high school in the summer, has bought a beautiful dress for her prow which currently doesn't fit her around the stomach area. I gave her some general advice about eating sensibly and told her of some exercises which will help to tone her stomach area. She also told me that she often eats because she feels sad and that she didn't know what to do other than eat when she feels like this. I gave her a number of alternatives to comfort eating and made her promise to talk to one of her friends or to call me or Sheldon if she feels sad so that she wasn't bottling up her feelings and turning to food as her only source of comfort. After that Sheldon hung up the phone and mother and daughter had a conversation which ended up with them both crying, Sheldon's mum saying that she was useless and me continuing to play agony aunt to a 15 year old girl with some rather serious self esteme issues and maladaptive coping mechanisms. When that was all over we were   both drained and headed off to bed.

Today Sheldon wasn't feeling to good so I left him in bed to catch up on some much needed sleep while I did our laundry. I eventually managed to coax him out of bed and convinced him to have something to eat and we sat and had a chat for a bit, until the phone rang and for the second day in a row our plans for a quiet evening in front of the TV went out of the window.

This time round it was my mother with a sob story that her purse had been stolen out of her handbag and that either my younger brother or my father was responsible for its disappearance. I rang both my brother and my father, and asked if either of them knew anything about the purses whereabouts, they both swore blind that they didn't so I asked them both to have a look around the house for it. Later on my mother phoned me back and said that she had reported it to the police I said good for her and that it could be the police's problem and not mine before sending my brother and father text messages telling them that I have had enough of their relying on me as some sort of all powerful mediator as I had enough on my plate dealing with my own life without having to sort out their issues as well. I would have gotten more involved and made some sort of attempt at ensuring a solution, but its not the first time this has happened. My mother has the memory of a seive and often misplaces her purse, where in she will accuse everyone in the vicinty of stealing it, before finding it exactly where she left it. On the othert hand both my brother and my father have form when it comes to not only theft in general, but specifically when it comes to stealing money from my mother. I don't know who is telloing me the truth and who is stringing me a line and I have neither the energy or the inclination to try and work it out, so I'm gonna leave them all to it.

I'm now going to go and enjoy whats left of my quiet weekend at home with my boyfriend before Monday arrives bringing with it yet more issues that we have to solve.

No comments:

Post a Comment